Cultural Treasures of Flores in an 9-Day Adventure
Prepare yourself for a 9-day journey into the lesser known cultures of Indonesia. We begin in the tropical paradise of Bali’s cultural center – Ubud, know for it’s lush green rice terraces, vibrant arts and crafts scene, and spiritual ambiance. Our blessing ceremony sets us onwards with hope and good intentions. Every traveler must also care for all their senses – including tastes and smell – hopefully satiated during our private cooking class.
Onwards – exploring the Komodo National Park, where snorkeling in clear tropical waters is followed by a trek to encounter Komodo dragons. In the evening, a traditional Caci whipfighting ceremony and dance awaits us on the beach as the sun sets. Our quest then takes us into the heart of the old cultures and landscape. Far off the beaten path we begin with a one-of-a-kind experience at the beachside ecocamp offering an off-the-grid experience while making a direct and meaningful impact on the local community.
A trek to Wae Rebo takes us to a traditional village in the caldera of an extinct volcano, where we’ll reside in traditional clan houses, witnessing a way of life that has endured for centuries. The elders of the village will welcome us into the main house and share a ceremony with stories of old and singing. Awaken in the clanhouse to the freshly brewed coffee that is locally grown, harvested and roasted. Through the valleys and coastline we make our way to Ruteng – the center of Manggarai Culture and history.
After a final evening on Flores, dining as the sunsets over Komodo National park, we will return to Bali. The journey will end with a dinner and taking in the sun as it sets over Uluwatu temple and the Kecak ceremony with chanting, singing and gods dancing.
Why Choose This Experience?
Immerse yourself in a journey that that celebrates Flores’ unique heritage and traditions
Learn about the culture of Flores from our knowledgeable local guides, gain unique insights, create deep connections, and be captivated by personal stories that bring the island's rich heritage to life
Embark on an adventure to Komodo, where villages coexist with Komodo dragons, and explore the distinct Ata Modo culture and language. Discover the ancient Ngada culture in Bena, witnessing intricate carvings and skilled weavers in a matrilineal society.
Dive into the heart of Manggarai Culture in Ruteng and Wae Rebo, where spiderweb-shaped rice fields and unique clan houses reflect cherished customs
Experience Flores with local guides, familiar with these cultures, who ensure you dive deep into the essence of Flores, leaving you with lifelong memories of this incredible cultural journey
Click the Tabs to Find out More About Our 9-Day Trip!
9-Day Trip Details
$2,275 USD (flights included)
18:00 Briefing and orientation at hotel
Departures every other Saturday
April – October
2 – 8 people
- English-speaking guide throughout
- Meet and transfer from Bali Airport to Hotel
- Accommodation in Bali Area Hotel (5 star)
- Accommodation in Labuan Bajo Hotel (4 star)
- Accommodation on Custom Kayaking Vessel
- Accommodation at Ecocamp
- Accommodation in Traditional Clan House
- Orientation in Bali with our staff
- Domestic flights from Bali – Komodo – Bali
- Snorkel and fins in current sizes
- Support boat with radio and satellite phone contact throughout
- National, Regional, and local park fees
- Professional certified land and kayak guides
- Ranger and local guide fees
- All meals on expedition
- Hygienic drinking water throughout
- International Flights
- There are additional fees for registering video cameras, drones and professional camera equipment inside Komodo National Park
- Gratuities in our prices
- Alcohol or soft drinks
- Accommodation before or after the trip
- Other incidental expenses can not be covered by Wicked Adventures – this can include souvenirs, snacks before/after trip at hotels and on tours
What to bring
- Lightweight trousers/shorts/skirts
- Underwear and socks
- Beach sandals
- Breathable shoes comfortable for trekking and walking
- Lightweight waterproof jacket
- Ear plugs
- Insect repellent
- Sun-cream (reef-friendly only!)
- Personal first-aid kit (inc. blister treatment)
- Personal items (biodegradable toiletries, sanitary wear etc)
- Quick-dry towel
- Tour guide 1:8 ratio for land tours
- Snorkel guide 1:8 ratio on the water
- Captain, cook, boat crew on the boat
Important Note: It is essential to understand that the itinerary can, and often does, change due to strong currents or inclement weather conditions. Your safety is our priority and our decisions will be based on that. We can not be held liable for flight delays or cancellations. We will try to accommodate in these cases – but it may mean missing portions of the trip.
9-Day What You’ll See & Do
Travel to Ubud, known for its lush green rice terraces, vibrant arts and crafts scene, and spiritual ambiance
Visit Wae Rebo village, located within the caldera of an extinct volcano, where you'll reside in traditional clan houses and witness a way of life that has persevered for centuries
Learn about the captivating story behind the famous Bali Fire Dance, Kecak